Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Taking a Ride

About two and a half weeks ago we left the kids with my parents for a day. Upon our return Ben informed us that he was wearing "underwears." Thus the start of potty training. At 27 months old I knew he was old enough and most likely ready as well. Perhaps I was the reluctant learner? I guess the thought of dealing with a toddler in big boy pants was a little too much for me to wrap my head around while also trying to keep up with a very curious crawling infant. But now that it's started....yippee! Thanks Grandma and Grandpa!
As the second full day in underwear began Ben informed me that he was going on a ride. Unsure of what I had promised the evening before while dealing with the usual bedtime chaos I asked him where. His reply, "I'm gonna go on a potty train." Too cute. What he doesn't realize is that it truly is a "ride."
As can be expected there are a few accidents each day but we're making progress. But of course our kid can't be like all the other little kids we know who gladly put their little hands up for an M&M upon completion of the pee, undies up, wash hands routine. Our kid likes cold hard cash. At least as far as he knows pennies and pickles (nickels) are the stuff. Maybe he knows if M&M's were the reward he'd never get any because his chocoholic mom would eat them all and leave him with nothing but clean hands.
So, for now we keep the coins ready and are thrilled every time we hear, "I made pee in the potty!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ben makes me laugh! Good job Grandma and Grandpa! My goal for next summer is to spend the summer in HC again and have Grandma potty train him. I'm sure my mom is fully on board with this plan. :)

Thanks for adding the name/url option!

Unknown said...

Awww....that is too cute, Maggie! Pennies and pickles?! lol

No Mommy Brain said...

Thanks for the comment and leading me to your blog. One more thing we have in common? I grew up in RENO! My high school was just over the hill from Incline. Small world...

I'll have to try bribing my son with money - the chocolate is no longer working. No accidents...just a lot of naked toddler pee pee dance. He can hold it FOREVER!