Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Barack the Vote!

Today the boys and I joined many other Incline residents for early voting. Lucky for me it was at our local library so it was a double duty trip....voting for me, kids' area for the boys.

In the car on the way I prepped Ben as best I could as to what was going to happen. I told him I had a very important job to do and he and Sam would be my helpers. Their job was to be very quiet and wait for me to finish. Ben's reply, "What does voting mean?" I told him that voting is a way for people to help make important decisions. "What does decisions mean?"

This went on for a while and eventually led to the word President. That one he understood. "Like George Washington in the Curious George book!" Exactly! I told him there were lots of people who want to be President but only two who most people know about -McCain and Obama. "Obama like Mama! It sounds the same!" I smiled and said, "How about Obama for Mama, Ben?"

We arrived at the library and both Ben and Sam were very patient as I checked in and got my voting card to activate the machine. Ben sat quietly eating his bagel, and Sam looked around from the stroller. A couple of people commented on how well-behaved they both were. I found a machine on an end so as not to block any other voters with the stroller, and asked Ben to stay right next to me. As I began the process, Sam started to fuss. I picked him up and continued as Ben climbed into the stroller. When it was all said and done we had cast our ballot, got our stickers proclaiming that we voted early, and headed out to the kids' area for some play time. A successfull morning all around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, I wish I could've voted with Graham. We voted by fax. No stickers for us.