Sunday, October 5, 2008

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

We finally got a little rain this weekend which was a nice change. However, as with most changes there are often downsides as well...in our case it meant an uninvited guest in the boys' room.
I had just finished helping Ben brush his teeth before bed and had moved on to Sam. Ben and Brian were getting settled in to read a Curious George story when abruptly Brian brought Ben back into the bathroom, and quickly grabbed a handful of kleenex. As he headed back to the boys' room he said, "I don't want to alarm anyone...."
The kleenex gave it away. It was a spider. I'm not really scared of bugs and such but more bothered by their movements. I don't like the scurrying of insects, arachnids, rodents, etc. Ben is yet to encounter a critter in our home so it's hard to say how he would react. I'm so glad Brian didn't wait to find out. The last thing we need is a 2 1/2 year-old refusing to sleep in his bed.
Yes, his bed. That's where the HUGE spider was. Within a few inches of the little man when he climbed in. Brian happened to see the movement, scooped Ben up and returned him to me.
It took just a moment to remedy the situation but I still get a shiver down my spine just writing about it. Brian kept the evidence for me and it was a big guy. Thanks again for Brian - Mr. Calm, Cool and Collected.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't need to read this. Ugh. We have HUGE spiders here in Israel too, but fortunately I've only seen them in our building's ground level. I've convinced myself they can't make it up to the top floor!

I'm a feminist, really. So the reason Matt is the designated spider and large bug killer isn't that he's a boy, it's that he's NOT ME. Yup, really.