Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sledding Snowbunnies

Even though it's officially springtime now, in Tahoe it still feels like winter at least a couple of days each week. We got a few inches of new snow over the weekend and decided that if we wanted to get the boys out sledding at all before the weather stays consistently warm we had better do it now. So yesterday the boys and I added sled shopping to our grocery shopping at Raley's. I don't know if it's because it's been so long since I have been in the market for a sled or if I am just horribly unaware but a basic plastic sled is expensive! I was expecting no more than ten bucks for a typical toboggan but when I saw the price stickers in the mid-twenty dollar range I was shocked! I was then convinced that it was because we were at Raley's which caters to the winter tourists offering sleds, hats, gloves, and even snow pants and coats in their grocery store. And if you are an unprepared tourist in Tahoe of course you'll spend twenty bucks for a sled without batting an eye. But not me!

The boys and I then made our way to Ace Hardware to see what they had instead. Unfortunately, their prices were no better but I felt better knowing that the sled I bought for just over twenty dollars is an environmentally-friendly sled made of 100% recycled materials. It is black to absorb the winter sun and keep the riders backsides a little warmer too. The company also points out that by using their sled you are also taking part in an emission-free activity....no stinky snowmobiles for us!

We made our plans yesterday afternoon and invited our good friends, Joseph, Katie and their mommy Kristen to join us. When we arrived at the golf course driving range we were excited to see not only Joseph, Katie and Kristen but also our friends Bryn and Nanny. Then shortly after Maddie and Fancy arrived too. The kids (and grownups) commenced the downhill runs immediately and there were smiles all around. Luckily I brought the camera so I was able to get pics of all the kids enjoying the sunny day.

And our Flexible Flyer Winter Heat Eco-Sled turned out to be a great buy! It is not too long for a kid Ben's size to maneuver and I felt safe with the upturned front on it to help keep both Ben and Sam stable inside, there are also brakes on the sides just in case you get going too fast. Both Ben and Sam went up and down the small hill so many times I lost count. Actually, they both went down a bunch but Sam still needed me to haul him back up. Apparently they thought Mommy needed to burn a few calories today too. Ben loved every minute and rode down alone and with friends over and over again. If only I had remembered to tie a rope on to pull the sled back up the hill....Ben was a trooper and hauled it up by himself several times and with the the help of his buddy, Joseph. One of the cutest moments was when we sent Sam and Katie (both less than a year and a half old) down the hill together in our sled. They zipped right down the hill and welcomed me with smiles when I went to retrieve them and haul the sled back up the hill.

After a solid hour of sledding, the kids all gravitated back to the top of the hill where they all shared snacks with each other and gave the adults a welcome breather. And after just a few more runs down the hill, we were all ready to pack up and go home to rest. I was sure the boys would fall asleep quickly and sleep hard but after just 20 minutes of rest Sam was awake and crying. I let him fuss and he got himself back to sleep and is still sleeping now. Ben fell asleep shortly after lying down but is already awake just an hour after going down. Oh well. It was all worth it just to see how happy the kids were.

Nanny was so impressed with our sled that she and Bryn had plans to go straight to Ace after leaving the sledding hill to buy one for themselves. She also was not thrilled about how expensive sleds are but really liked ours and was willing to pay the twenty bucks. She sent me an email letting me know that today all sleds were 50% off....figures, a day late for us but still worth every penny!
Our first sledding adventure!

The whole crew.....Katie and Bryn, Joseph and Ben, Sam and Maddie.


Sam had so much fun! All smiles.


Joseph on his sled next to Ben and Sam.

Here we go!

1 comment:

Jill Macknicki said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Sounds like a great sled. We too have winter ever few days around here. I found it ironic that it snowed here on Saturday night and that Friday was the first day of spring.