Friday, December 5, 2008

Happy Camp Highlights


Grandma gave Ben a small cookie tin to use as a drum. He kept saying he needed a belt for playing it. I could not figure out what he meant. He told me he needed a belt like the drums in the parade. Finally I got it....he wanted to have a drum like the ones in marching band he saw during the holiday parade in Yreka! So creative!
Grandpa filled the bird feeder with seeds so Ben anxiously waited for the birds to arrive. He loved the binoculars that were mine when I was a little girl.
We went to visit Grandma at work on Monday morning. We arrived at Happy Camp Elementary School and after saying hello to a handful of people, proceeded to the cafeteria to see Grandma and her coworker, Lisa. Ben was excited to have a snack of yogurt with Grandma and was reluctant to leave. Soon, Casey, the school's principal and mother to my good friend Courtney, came in to meet the boys. She invited Ben to return to the school later in the afternoon for a special assembly with Australian animals.
We arrived to the assembly a little late because I refused to wake the boys from their nap. But we got there just in time to see a seven month old red kangaroo! We also saw a kookaburra, a baby crocodile, two sugar babies, two tiny box jelly fish, and a baby tree python. Ben and Sam seemed to like the kangaroo the best. Who knew we would see Australian animals in Happy Camp!
We made sure to visit the “Welcome to Happy Camp” sign and take a picture.
While Grandma was at work on Wednesday, Grandpa, the boys, and I headed down to Bill and Sylvia Parry's house to visit. They were so excited to meet the boys and catch up with our lives in Tahoe. We talked about the big news of the morning of a mountain lion crossing the parking lot at the little market in town (which happens to be owned by Bill and Sylvia's son Bobby). Apparently, one of the employees was arriving to work and waiting at the front door to be let in since the store wasn't open yet. She saw the big cat going through the parking lot and was frantic to get inside. Bulletins were sent out to the schools to warn them. In the past few weeks there have been many mountain lion sightings as well as pets being killed. Needless to say, the boys didn't play outside while in Happy Camp. We were also lucky to have dinner with Bill and Sylvia on Thursday evening.
Friday after lunch the boys and I headed to the elementary school on our way out of town to see Grandma one last time. While there we said goodbye to Lisa as well and I was able to see one of my teachers from seventh grade, Terry Mattson. She looks just the same and was excited to meet the kids.
I also saw Casey Chambers one last time and gave her an extra hug to pass on to Courtney when she arrives for Christmas from Israel.
The boys and I arrived back in Yreka at Gram and Pop's mid-afternoon Friday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm bummed you were in HC and I wasn't there to see you and play with your boys! The Australian zoo sounds fun.

Did you hear my parents' little Boston terrier was eaten by a mountain lion? They are seriously bummed. I think they liked that dog more than they do us.

(I'm so behind on my blog I'm hiding from it.)