Monday, December 22, 2008

Yes, Ben, there is a Santa Claus


During our recent travels, my sister Pauline brought up the "Santa issue." I really didn't even know we had an issue until I was asked if Ben understands that Santa brings gifts at Christmas. My reply was, "I don't think so." For us, Santa is a part of our lives every week because we attend the 10:00 morning service at St. Patrick's Episcopal Church which happens to be the service Santa attends too.
Our kids see Santa as a friend, not a mysterious being who surprises children with Christmas gifts. In fact, Santa has become such a big part of our lives that he actually took part in our boys' baptism last May. Many Incline residents don't know that he is an ordained monk who lives a life of poverty - unheard of in most Incline neighborhoods.
When Auntie Pauline asked Ben what he was going to ask for Christmas from Santa, he was silent. The concept of asking our Santa for anything is so strange. I'm sure to Ben, Santa is just an average guy.
We did make a visit to a Santa in the Mt. Shasta Mall in Redding, California while on our family trip. Both my little boys and their eight year-old cousin, Olivia, waited patiently for their turn to sit with the jolly old elf. As we got close enough to see him, Ben said, "Mommy, that's not Santa." Thank goodness Olivia was out of earshot! I'd hate for her to think Ben wasn't a believer. She had her Christmas ideas all ready including an American Girl doll. She also told Ben that after he saw Santa he would get a candy cane.
As we approached the big guy, Ben expressed that he didn't want to sit with this Santa. I did my best not to ruin the moment for my niece. I told Ben that this Santa looked like our Santa and that there are many men who look like our Santa and they all work together at Christmas time to talk to kids and find out what they want for Christmas. The look on Ben's face told me that this still wasn't sinking in.
We got all three kids situated with Santa for their photo - Ben and Olivia smiled, Sam screamed. Oh well. And when asked by Santa what he would like for Christmas Ben replied, "A candy cane."
So, what to do? I was a kid who grew up looking forward to my gifts from Santa each year and I always assumed that I would carry on the tradition with my own children. But things are different now. Why would I want my children to think that the wonderful man we know as Santa owes them anything? If anything, we should reverse the tradition and give to the Santa Claus Foundation that helps children across the country. http://thesantaclausfoundation.org/
The best gift for us is having him in our lives.

No comments: