Tuesday, December 23, 2008

It's the little things

After traveling for 3 weeks and then staying in a home that is not our own for another week I'm quickly realizing it's the little things I miss the most...
*my own bed
*sharp knives in my kitchen
*my AllClad cookware
*a large capacity washer and dryer
*cloth diapers
*cable tv (local news)
*my dustbuster
*the boys' large assortment of toys and books
*a baby who sleeps through the night (the last time this happened was when Sam was in his crib, in his room)
*my entire wardrobe not just the handful of things that have been in my suitcase for a month

But there are also things I am so thankful for....
*being back with Brian
*Sam's birthday gifts and early Christmas gifts for the boys to break up the monotony of the same old clothes and toys
*the thought that when I do return home I'll have new windows! a new living room! and all of the things listed above.
*the simple gesture from John (our good friend whose home we are staying in) of making sure to tell me that there was an empty dresser we could put our clothes in. Just the thought of not pulling clothes from a suitcase every day nearly brought tears to my eyes!

A few months back I remember reading my brother-in-law and sister-in-law's blog while they were transitioning from Cleveland, Ohio, to Seattle, Washington. They were stuck in temporary housing while they tried to find a house to buy. They were such troopers and I just try to keep them in my mind to spare my sanity. They did it all with two little girls starting new schools and a newborn! Yikes!

No comments: