Thursday, June 18, 2009

The Boys They are a Changin'

Ben's new glide bike.

Sam is still a little uncertain about riding the tricycle.

"When I'm a daddy I will take care of my babies."

It is really unbelievable how much the boys have changed in the past couple of months. Ben is very articulate and inquisitive and often catches me off guard with his insight. Sam is doing his best to keep up with Ben and is not only a chatterbox but also a daredevil.

We recently removed the safety rails from Ben's bed and woke last night to him crying out for Mommy. When I got out of bed Brian said he had heard a thump from the boys' room. When I entered I found Ben on a pile of pillows, blankets, his baby doll, and a couple of stuffed animals. He was not hurt but shaken up a bit.

We also purchased a big boy bed for Sam last month. He is interested in being in it but hasn't quite gotten the idea that it's for sleeping. So, until he stops doing yoga on it and bailing over the safety rails, he is confined to his crib.

Swim lessons have started back up with the arrival of summer so Ben, Sam and I are all enjoying four mornings a week playing at the pool. Ben is in the Tiny Tunas class this session while Sam and I are taking part in the Parent-Tot class. Ben's skills are quickly improving and Sam is turning out to be quite a water baby too.

I remember last summer sitting by the side of the pool with little bitty baby Sam. I watched Ben kick and splash and become more comfortable in the water. Going to the pool was fun but also a headache as I lugged a toddler, a baby in a stroller, towels, changes of clothes, diapers, and toys to and from the car every day. I purposely avoided the beach because it was such a pain to keep Sam out of the sun while also making sure Ben was safe near the water. I kept telling myself that next summer would be better. Now that next summer is now, I couldn't be happier. Ben is so happy in the pool, at the playground, or the beach. And Sam is happy that Ben is happy. Sam is so determined to be a big kid that he is doing things I never thought an 18 month-old could do. I still have to be on my toes while the boys are playing by the lake shore or climbing the structures at the park but at least now I don't have to be holding one or both of them all the time!

Speaking of being a big kid, Ben has graduated from his tricycle, and is now the proud owner of a glide bike, also known as a balance bike. He starts by walking and pushing while seated, trusting his own abilities while quickly graduating to gliding on two wheels. This type of bike allows kids to learn to ride a two-wheeled bike without ever having to use training wheels! Amazing, huh?
And, now that Sam is a little taller, he is the proud owner of a gently used red tricycle!
Ben often tells Brian, "When I am bigger I will ride my bike up the mountain with you, Dad."

One morning I was trying to procure a hug from Ben, and as he wiggled out of my arms I told him that he never hugs me anymore. His response was, "That's because I'm not a baby anymore, Mom. But that's okay because you still have Sam and he'll hug you."

Ben also tells us of all the things he'll do when he's a daddy - let's get these in print so he can't balk in the future.
"When I'm a daddy I'll cook all the food."
"When I'm a daddy I will reach the sink to wash the dishes."
"When I'm a daddy I will make my own breakfast."
"When I'm a daddy I will go to work with Sue." (Sue is the office administrator at Brian's office)
"When I'm a daddy I will be tall and touch the ceiling."
"When I'm a daddy I will take care of my babies."
"When I'm a daddy I can shuffle the cards by myself."
"When I'm a daddy I can build a new house with my tools."

No comments: