Monday, August 17, 2009

Aunties, Aunties!





We were very excited to get a phone call a couple of weekends ago from my brother-in-law, Pete, asking if we would like to get together with he and my sister Beth here in Tahoe. They decided to get in one last getaway before Beth had to go back to work with the start of a new school year. I was jubilant as I haven't spent any time with my sister since our travels over spring break in April. I was even more excited when Pete called back a few minutes after ending our first phone call and said that not only would they be up for a night but if it worked for us, Beth would stay a few more days and ride with the boys and I to Redding for my oldest sister Pauline's baby shower.

We were expecting Beth and Pete to arrive sometime in the early afternoon on Tuesday, August 4th, and the plan was to go out for lunch then get the kids down for a rest while Beth and Pete went to the Rustic Cottages where they always stay when they come to the lake. Shortly after noon I heard footsteps on the outside stairs and told the boys that it was Auntie Beth and Uncle Pete. Imagine my surprise when I found my niece, Kayla, (with an Ikeda's peach pie in hand) standing outside my front door! Beth and Pete had pulled a few strings with Kayla's mom so she could come up and see her cousins too!

Later on that evening the boys and I picked Brian up from his office then drove the few miles to the Rustic Cottages where we enjoyed a barbecue with Beth, Pete, Kayla, and their friends, Shawna and Jenn. The boys had a great time playing with Kayla and we all enjoyed playing horseshoes and visiting.

The next morning we picked up Beth after Pete and Kayla headed back down the mountain. Ben and Sam loved having special time with their auntie. And it turned out to be just what Beth and I needed to put the final touches on our big sister Pauline's baby shower.

On Friday morning we got everything loaded in the car and made the drive to Redding. Auntie Pauline was home alone while Uncle Howie and Olivia were camping. Ben was thrilled to play on the play structure in the back yard and let Fenway, Olivia's dog, cover him in doggie kisses. Sam finally warmed up to Fenway too and had lots of fun with Olivia's doll house.

The baby shower was a hit with lots of Pauline's co-workers and friends in attendance. Good food, fun games, and nice company made the event a success. My nephew is due at the end of September and judging from the gifts heaped upon him, he will be a very well-loved little guy. And it's nice for me to know exactly where to pass along things my boys have outgrown. Pauline will be starting the school year teaching her kindergartners so things will be hectic for her right up until the moment her baby boy arrives. For now, I wish her lots of luck with lots of rest.

No comments: