Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The name's Shakespeare, William Shakespeare









During the summer of 2003 I was one of a handful of teachers who took part in the Northern California Writing Project. This is where I met the kind and lovely, Janet Farschon, an elementary school teacher from Cedarville, California. Within the first couple of days of class Janet mentioned that she'd like to share my email address with her nephew. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I agreed and the very last day of class Janet handed me a small blue post-it note with Brian's contact information on it. That same afternoon I sent an email that started the ball rolling. After a few weeks of emails and phone calls, Brian invited me to the lake to go to the Lake Tahoe Shakespeare festival with him to see "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

So six years ago on August 2, 2003, I made the fateful drive from Chico to Incline Village to meet Brian face-to-face for the first time. Obviously the rest is history and now we celebrate the anniversary of our first date each year at the Shakespeare festival. Over the years we have had several friends join us for the fun. Originally it was just us and Steph and Matt whose wedding anniversary is August 3rd. But this year we welcomed three new faces to our Shakespeare entourage. My good friend, Tabitha, whom I met at Humboldt State over a decade ago, made the trek up from southern California to spend a few days with us and see "Measure for Measure." We also encouraged fellow TCF parents, Cris and Joe Hennessey, to join us and have a night off duty from their daughter Ella. We all had an amazing evening under the Tahoe sky that was fueled by Brian's very tasty and very potent margaritas.

Tabitha was the only one to bring along a camera so I must thank her for the photos!

No comments: